FERGUSON STUDENT CENTER
Directly across the Quad from Gorgas Library stands Denny Chimes (map stop 10), built in honor of UA President George Denny. Around the base of Denny Chimes are handprints and footprints of Crimson Tide football legends. Denny Chimes rings out the hours and also plays for special occasions, such as Veterans Day programs, memorials and celebrations.
Ferguson Student Center
Located across the Plaza from the Student Services Center (map stop 1) is the Ferguson Student Center (map stop 3), the student union building, which recently underwent a $45 million expansion and renovation. Inside are food venues, the Supply Store, ATMs, meeting rooms, the Alabama Credit Union and an information desk.
Foster Auditorium (map stop 15) was completed in 1939 and renovated in 2010, with a plaza honoring Vivian Malone Jones and James Hood and a clock tower honoring Autherine Lucy Foster, the three African-American students whose enrollment began desegregation on UA’s campus.
The Round House
Built in Gothic revival style in 1860, the Round House stands in the shadow of Gorgas Library (map stop 6). A guard house during the University’s days as a military school, it is said to be haunted by Civil War ghosts. The Round House is now a memorial to all UA honor societies.
The academic buildings surrounding Woods Quad (map stop 5)—Manly Hall, Woods Hall, Clark Hall and Garland Hall—are premier examples of the ornate Victorian architecture favored immediately after the Civil War. Woods Quad was the original campus quadrangle and the site of the first Alabama football game. The Woods Quad Sculpture Garden has been growing for many years, but was officially dedicated in 2014. Currently, five sculptures occupy the quad grounds.
The historic, Greek Revival-style President’s Mansion is located on University Boulevard just across from Denny Chimes. It has served as the official residence of UA presidents since it was completed in 1841. It is one of only four UA structures that survived the campus’ burning during the Civil War. The mansion was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1972.